WE ARE THE BIG MOUTHS
Based out of Portland, the Big Mouth Society is dedicated to the presentation, preservation, and education of historically-informed and community-minded musical, fine and performance arts in Portland, Oregon.
Founded by a passionate team of professional artists, art enthusiasts, and community leaders, Big Mouth Society is the organic, logical, and emotional product of many cumulative years of trials and errors in arts presentation, community building, political advocacy, and asking questions.
Check out our 2017/2018 Guide to read about all of our exciting plans!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
3 or more MainStage professional performances per year ($150 value)
5 or more Big Mouth Salon events per year
3 or more Visual Art shows per year
Opportunity to host traveling artists at home
Opportunity to host salons and other events
Meet new friends for socializing, conversations, and activism
WHY SHOULD I JOIN?
- All members of Big Mouth are servants to our larger goal of bringing community together through curated artistic experiences.
- We want to create a diverse, inclusive and tight-knit community where people can meet and foster lifelong friendships.
- We challenge the conventional model. We pay artists FIRST, we make art FIRST, we build community FIRST. We do not have a paid staff.
- We rely on the collective power of big-hearted people in our community, not government grants, corporate money, or large private donations. Member support frees us to present fresh, adventurous programming that invigorates our community.
- We want Portland to be a home (and destination!) for sustainable, world class art, and we put our money where our Big Mouth is by paying artists a reliable, living wage that will allow them to keep creating new works.
- We are dedicated to the empowerment of artists at all levels of development.
- We are dedicated to sharing art with those who usually lack access. We are also committed to giving voice, with our big mouths, to those in need.